Thursday 6 November 2008

11000 words and counting

Have been nervous for a while about how my Nano would cope with being off for a few days. I deliberately squeezed in more than the minimum words on Saturday and Sunday last week to allow for the fact that yesterday was my wifes birthday so Tuesday night I had to bake a cake then last night I wanted to spend time with her rather than neglecting her, tapping away all on my lonesome up in the computer room. After a marathon session this evening, I feel inspired again.

On Saturday, when I started the novel, words werent coming very quickly at all but my prose was witty. Since then, I've realised I just didnt have the time to imbibe each scene with the humour and pathos that they deserved. I've really resigned myself now that this story is nothing more than a rough draft. and a very rough one at that. it serves no other purpose than to get the story out of my head and allow me to spot plot holes and bash things into shape.

There's still a few surprises of course. Characters do things you hadn't planned and a few new ideas have materialised out of the ether. I'm hoping to get a good blitz at it this weekend and, after churning out 3500 words with no problem this evening, it would be nice to see another 10k by Sunday night...

No comments: